Freddie ready for comeback

FlintoffAll-rounder set to pull on England shirt again in second Test

Andrew Flintoff insists he is fit and ready to resume his England career in the second Test against South Africa at Headingley on Friday.

Flintoff has been missing from Test cricket for the last 18 months due to two ankle operations followed by a side strain.
The 30-year-old was called back into the set-up as part of a 12-man squad to take on the Proteas at Headingley after impressing for Lancashire.
Peter Moores is expected to throw the all-rounder straight back into the action, with Paul Collingwood the leading candidate to miss out.
Flintoff admits that it has been a tough time for him on the comeback trail, but feels that he has now had enough cricket to be fit enough to pull on the England shirt once again.


Tough:

"Its been a tough one with all these rehab programmes and injures and operations and I'm just looking forward to getting back onto a cricket field - to getting the Three Lions on my chest and on my cap and trying to make a difference to the side," Flintoff said on Sky Sports News.
"Before the first Test I'd not played a great deal of cricket what with the side strain - I'd just had one game against Sussex.
"I got another Championship game against Hampshire last week where I bowled a lot of overs, got some miles in my legs, and I'm hitting them pretty nicely as well - a couple of runs in the Twenty20 and the second innings down at Hampshire.
"I'm in a good place at the moment and ready to go into Test match cricket."
Although not quite back at full throttle just yet, that will only come with bowling overs and Flintoff's extra wicket-taking ability will make him a big asset for England.
"I don't think I'm at my best but I'm going in the right direction and showing signs of that," said Flintoff, who believes he can get even better than he was.


Improve:

"As for the fitness, I've got no worries. I'm like everyone else I can get injuries, as can every other bowler.
"I've always improved the more I bowl and have a better understanding of it as well.
"With the bat as well, you see batsmen peak in their early thirties and that's what I'm looking to do as well.
"I've done all right in the past and I think I can do better."
Although Lancashire players do not traditionally get the best welcome at Yorkshire's home base in Headingley - with an England shirt on Flintoff expects the Leeds crowd to be kind.
"As and when I do come on to bowl, I'm sure there might be a little bit of excitement here at Headingley - the Lancashire players refer to it fondly as Galatasaray, but I think in an England shirt it's a different game," he said.
"Hopefully the crowd will get behind not just me, but the rest of the team."


Source: Sky Sports

No comments:

Latest Post